Sunday, November 16, 2014

Tree of Life Sea Glass Pendant Necklace

Over the course of the summer, I learned to make this vintage bronze framed tree of life pendant, threaded with hand drilled sea glass. The glass was collected along the shores of Victoria BC. When I started out making this tree of life pendant, it was an utter disaster. I tried to make this with non-drilled sea glass and was a complete failure. The whole thing looked like something unrecognizable, and held no composition or balance of any kind. After working with the mangled wire for nearly 3 hours, I gave up, ripped all the wire apart and put it away in my kit for a couple of weeks. But, my failed attempt at the tree of life pendant was not forgotten.

Eventually, when opening up my kit of supplies, the unused wire looked back at me. I was reminded of the money I'd spent on the wire (was not cheap) for this aborted project. This attempt meant using drilled sea glass. I plucked out some glass bits that were small and bead-like but still drillable. When I started this final version, I recalled something that Michael said (he taught me how to do this at Bamboo and Bling here in Victoria). He said something about not caring, loosing control, just letting it go. Let it turn into whatever it will be. I approached this version with no attachments, no expectations and just let my hands guide my mind to the design. Thinking too much about it, means stalling and gapping in the process. This version took me about an hour, if you count in the drilling, then maybe a bit longer. But in the end, I am really happy with the results. Soon, I am going to brave up and make another one.

This one is for sale by the way at my new Etsy shop. If you'd like to buy it, you can find it here: Tree of Life

No comments:

Post a Comment